Little Me wrote: I wonder how long I’ll be able to go on with abuse at the forefront of my mind. At some point it will truly exhaust me. How will I know if it’s time to cut out of my marriage? How will I know if I need to continue healing on my own, when me trying to force Will to stop his part in this if fruitless? How will I know if it’s time to leave?
Hey, Big Me, I’m talking to You. Signs that it’s time to leave the marriage? Hello? Maybe a David Letterman’s Top 10 List?
Big Me said: You don’t really want me to answer that question.
Little Me wrote: No, I suppose I don’t want it, but I think I need you to answer me. Don’t make me dance around like Squirrel Nutkin here. Please, tell me: When is it time to let go of this marriage?
Big Me said:
- When you cannot hear Pauline [my guardian angel] or me.
- When you do not write or draw or express your truth in any new way.
- When you are seeing darkness in the middle of the day.
- When no one wants to listen to you anymore because you encourage them to do things you cannot do. Or will not do.
- When you cannot bear the sound of his footsteps, it is time to not hear those footsteps anymore.
- When you feel as if everyone would be better off without your crazy ass self.
- When you feel dead, your eyes are puffy and you have headaches from all the cry-snot you generate.
- When you feel all hope is lost.
Those are signs that it is time to leave your marriage.