Request A Survivors’ Mentor
Domestic violence includes the abuses that do not leave bruises on your body. You do not have to show bruises as proof to any domestic violence program including our free Mentoring Program.
Please reach out to the Survivors’ Mentoring Team no matter what your experience with domestic violence and abuse. We can support you
- if you want to get out of an abusive relationship, or
- if you need to stay in an abusive relationship for now, or
- feel forced to stay in the abusive relationship forever, or
- if you left your abusive relationship and want help healing from it.
Our mentors help you think more clearly so you find the answers you need. Our mentors are are all survivors of domestic violence and abuse and our mentors all left abusive relationships. Our Survivors’ Mentors have extraordinary wisdom that comes from experience with domestic violence and abuse that other programs cannot guarantee.
The mentors who participate in this program are not licensed counselors, therapists or psychologists unless noted otherwise. They are strong people who survived domestic violence and can help you to survive and thrive too.
Apply to Mentor Domestic Violence Survivors
Mentoring abuse survivors is not the same as counseling. There is no certification or education needed to mentor an abuse survivor. Our prerequisites to mentor a survivor require that
- you are a citizen of the United States or Canada, and
- you are a survivor of domestic violence or abuse and
- you left your abusive relationship and
- you are as sure as possible that you are not currently experiencing an abusive relationship, and
- you are not currently experiencing substance abuse issues, and
- you have excellent written and oral communication skills or are at the very least confident that you can improve them quickly.
A mentor primarily leads by example; therefore, to be a great mentor, you must be willing to share your successes and mistakes with other survivors of domestic violence and abuse. (If you are not an open person, then mentoring may not be for you. Contact us by email to see if there are other volunteer positions available at Verbal Abuse Journals or our non-profit, The Emergency Fund for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Abuse, Inc.)
Accepted mentors have access to message boards and training. You will be subject to a criminal background check and the fee for the background check is $15.00. If we accept you as a mentor, we will give further information and instruction about the position. This application is non-binding. If those terms sound agreeable to you, please apply to be a mentor.